Monday 5 November 2012

Blog Three - Prostitution

Hello (I need to mix this up..)

       Part 3 was all about the man's fishing trip.. and a prostitute. Dosent that sound delightful? Not the fishing, but how Ken Kasey has portrayed this 'prostitute'. She is written out to be wearing a white t-shirt and shorts cut off at the knee. I'm not sure about you guys, but when I picture a prostitute, i picture someone wearing alot less. I'm not saying however that her actions don't make her out to be one, I'm just saying what she is wearing doesnt exactly fit the bill. Perhaps it is my 21st century mind at work and I just cannot picture it from the point of view of a citizen of the 1950's. However, if I were to put myself into the mindframe of people from that generation, then I can see why they consider that prostitution. They were just coming out of a time era where the fashions were changing, and if anyone who was a little more "fashion forward" came along, they were looked down upon.

    As for our generation, I feel that we misuse the word 'prostitute' often. We use it to describe people we dont like, as well as calling them (PARDON MY LANGUAGE) slut, bitch, whores, etc. I can admit that I have used the term a couple of times to describe someone I dont like, but I realize it is wrong. Most of these people arent actually sluts (on the other hand, some are...). I feel that this generation though, using words like prostitute, are really just filling sentences with horrible words to make ourselves look better than the other person look worse than they are. Does this make us any better than the person who hurt us?

    As for society, I feel that we have a bit of a messed up picture on what is acceptable and what is not. If you take a look back at the 1940's, wearing a skirt passed your knees was not acceptable. Nowadays, women are wearing skirts passed their -

...and yet that is now acceptable. As well, take childrens role model's for example, like Barbie. To little girls everywhere, Barbie is a role model who can do anything, from being a doctor to a pet trainer to an olympic athlete (Where is all of her degrees however...?). But to a person who has a mature mind, Barbie dresses a little inappopiately. The doll wears tube-tops. mini skirts and 6-inch heels. And yet every years millions or parents rush out to the shore to buy her daughter is doll because "Its a good role model. She makes them believe they can be anything!" Sadly, it is just that thinking which proves my point. These parents are not only teaching their children that they can be anything (which is a good thing; dont get me wrong), but they are also teaching their child that by wearing those outfits they can be successful. I'm not saying I dont wear short shorts like any other girl, im saying that when they are wearing clothing that is suited for a woman in her twenties when they are 12, then we have a problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ali!
    Awesome Blog! When I picture a prostitute I imagine a woman with nearly anything on but when it comes to Ken’s way of a prostitute, I imagine it’s not what she wears, it’s how they are as a person. Women like that listen to men and do what they are told to do. That’s why the men like prostitutes so much, the women do what they want them to do. That’s how I imagine it if someone has a different thought! It’s totally true that alot of people misuse the words such as slut whore tramp and etc! Don’t worry about your French :P Half the time people use those words to shield them to belittle someone or jealous of someone or trying to make ourselves look better and the others look like total crap. HAHA on your photo of Puma, that made my night  Catholic schools are horrible for kilts. When I went to JOA I had a skwort? Is that how you spell it? So you can’t really pull it up unless you want huge wedgies! Or you have some really determine girls who would cut out of the shorts underneath the kilt so they can pull it up higher. It’s disturbing, I remember if I had my skirt up too high my mother would rip me a new one. To be honest I’m happy that she taught me that pulling up your skirt doesn’t make you very lady like what’s so ever :P I wish we were people like back then. When I talk to the seniors at my work they tell me great stories how simple it was back then... now a days it’s so difficult to be accepted because it’s either the way you dress or the way you act. Back then they accepted everyone for who they were... well the stories I was told it honestly killed me how much life changed.

    Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!

      I honestly wish it was back in the old ol days (id probably enjoy it too much) but i agree with your point about the kilts ! i go to st joes and it is amazing how the attention of men like you said changes people. I feel though that men go to prostitutes because they want to feel powerful. And yes, i also enjoy my picture of Pumbaa, i had the song stuck in my head while blogging that and i had to use it ! :)

      Also its spelt Skort. :)

      Delete